The seamless integration of SAP systems into the existing IT infrastructure often presents companies with major challenges. Integration projects can be time-consuming and cost-intensive, especially when complex development projects are required. The integration of existing tools must be checked and adapted to the latest technology standards, especially in the context of SAP S/4HANA migration or new implementation projects.
This is where low code platforms come into play. They offer an efficient way to develop and implement integration solutions and are particularly useful when it comes to mastering the challenge of a changed integration strategy, even during an SAP S/4HANA implementation. In this article, we will take a closer look at the advantages of low code platforms when integrating SAP systems and, in particular, the integration challenges when implementing SAP S/4HANA.
Challenges in the integration of SAP S/4HANA
The integration of SAP S/4HANA can be more complex than the integration of older SAP systems for various reasons:
- Architectural differences: S/4HANA was developed with a new architecture that utilises SAP HANA’s in-memory database technology. This leads to fundamental differences in data processing and storage compared to older SAP systems. The integration of this new architecture into existing infrastructures requires special adaptations.
- Changed data models: S/4HANA uses simplified and optimised data models, which means that data structures and processes are designed differently than in older versions. The changeover to the new data models may require adjustments to the integration solutions.
- Conversion to SAP Fiori: Parts of the S/4HANA user interface can be delivered in SAP Fiori. This differs greatly from older SAP interfaces and existing interfaces and applications may need to be adapted in order to work seamlessly with S/4HANA.
- Performance improvements: S/4HANA offers significant performance improvements, but integration requires that existing systems also benefit from these improvements. This may require a major overhaul of integration solutions.
- New functions and modules: S/4HANA brings with it new features that need to be included in the integration strategy. Identifying, configuring and integrating these new functions can be complex and may mean that the existing integration solution can no longer be used.
- Business process optimisation: S/4HANA offers the opportunity to optimise business processes. The integration should not only take into account the technical transformation, but also the business transformation. As part of the SAP S/4HANA conversion, it makes sense to also question your integration strategy in terms of business process optimisation. This offers opportunities to optimise performance, security and data transparency. In addition, this analysis process offers the opportunity to scrutinise existing solutions and their integration, thereby saving further costs.
The factors mentioned above make the integration of SAP S/4HANA a complex task that requires careful planning and expertise. Companies should not underestimate the challenges associated with migrating to S/4HANA and integrating it into their existing IT landscape and should prepare for this complexity together with experienced partners.
The advantages of enterprise low code platforms when integrating SAP systems
Using a low code platform such as A12 to integrate SAP systems offers a number of advantages. This is especially true for complex enterprise environments where rapid adaptation to changing requirements is critical.
- Faster development and implementation: Low code platforms such as A12 significantly simplify the development of integration solutions as they offer visual interfaces and prefabricated components. As a result, companies can often complete integration projects in less time.
- Reduced need for development resources: As development on a low code platform is less time-consuming, companies need fewer developers and can use existing resources for other important projects.
- Ease of use: Low code platforms allow non-developers to participate in integration projects. Business users can create simple integrations themselves or at least participate more actively in the development process.
- Greater flexibility: With low code platforms, companies can adapt integration solutions more quickly to changing business requirements. This enables a more agile response to changes in the business environment.
- Better transparency: Low code platforms often provide a clear overview of the integration process and workflows, which makes troubleshooting and debugging easier.
- Reuse of components: Many low code platforms enable the reuse of integration elements, which increases efficiency and reduces development time.
- Lower costs: By speeding up integration development and reducing the need for development resources, companies can save costs.
- Better control: Low code platforms often provide features to monitor and control integration processes to ensure they meet business requirements.
- Scalability: Organisations can use low code platforms to develop integration solutions that scale with the growth of the business without increasing complexity.
- Centralised control and monitoring: By using low code platforms as a central element of application development and integration solutions, both the solutions developed and the data used can be better monitored. The holistic use of a platform for application development and integration represents a lower risk of cyber attacks due to the simpler protection.
- Reduced susceptibility to errors: Thanks to visual development and the use of prefabricated components, low code platforms minimise human errors that can occur in hand-coded solutions.
Low code platforms offer companies a user-friendly and efficient way of integrating SAP systems into their IT landscape. The advantages are manifold and range from shorter development times and lower costs to greater flexibility and transparency in the integration processes. This makes low-code platforms an attractive option for companies that want to optimise their SAP integration.
We would be happy to support you with the integration of SAP S/4HANA into your IT infrastructure. Our many years of experience as an implementation and development partner of SAP, coupled with our specialised knowledge of the technical structure of the applications and the extensive development options in the SAP system family, make mgm integration partners the ideal partner in all core areas of the SAP Business Suite.
As a team, we realise individual solutions that are completely tailored to your needs.